How many cookies will I get?

by connie on October 17, 2017

People often ask me “How many cookies will I get from a Springerle batch?” There is no easy answer when there are so many variables.

Here are some guidelines using my recipe, which has 6 eggs, 2 pounds of flour and 1.5 pounds of confectioners sugar plus the other small amount ingredients. If I make the entire batch into cookies that measure about 1.5 x 2 inches I will get about 110 to 120 cookies. This is a very common size cookie for a multiple press and a cookie size that I most often make, as it works well for  class samples, open houses and packs nicely into rectangular tins for shipping.

Often, you may want to use more than one of your molds. In the batch shown in the above, I made 60 of that standard 1.5 x 2 inch size, 17 rectangular cookies approximately 2.25 x 2.75 each and 20 round cookies approximately 2.5 inches in diameter. I used about half of the dough to make the first 60 cookies and the remaining half of the dough to make those 37 cookies. Mathematically, this makes sense, as those larger cookies are almost twice as large as the smaller cookies.  The entire batch if made in the larger 2.25 x 2.75 cookie size would yield about 72 cookies.

Beyond the size of the cookie, here are some of the variables that will impact the yield in the number of cookies from this batch:

• Thickness of the dough – you will get more cookies if you roll the dough more thinly and fewer cookies if you roll the dough more thickly.
  • Mold shapes – there will be less waste and less reworking of the dough when you use rectangular multiple molds.
  • Round or irregular shapes (such as hearts) will require more reworking of the dough and you will end up with more waste and thus a lower cookie count yield.

I hope these tips will help you as you plan your holiday baking. If you have a  large collection of molds, keep notes on how many cookies you get from a particular mold. You might divide your dough into quarters and use 4 molds to see how many cookies  you get of each mold or molds of a similar shape and size.

If you use a different recipe, don’t forget that the amount of the dough may be different too.

Happy Baking!

1 Renee 10.28.17 at 3:37 pm

Hi Connie
I’m a wild fan of everything of yours and have a number of the rolls and molds. With the exception of the lily of the valley mold and the twining vine roller, I don’t get as clear an impression as you do! Is it practice!? Is it too much flour or too little?
I seem to get about 50 – 60 Lily of the valley cookies out of a batch, am I just rolling too thickly?
Any help most appreciated
Of course everyone loves the cookies 🙂

2 Laura Pokas 11.15.17 at 7:08 pm

Great share. What thickness did you roll at to get the yield you discussed? Thanks.

3 Janet Meek 11.16.17 at 8:42 am

Connie – I’ve taken multiple classes from you in Louisville. Question : if the top of the cookie cracks, does that indicate that the temp is too high?
Thanks

4 connie 01.16.18 at 5:15 pm

Hi Janet,

It could be too much flour or that the dough is not throughly kneaded. It could also be too high a temperature and they rose too quickly. I would need a photo to tell.

5 connie 01.16.18 at 6:32 pm

Hi Renee,

It seems to me that you have figured out the correct depth to roll the dough for these two very deep molds and are thus getting good impressions. The dough should always be rolled more deeply that the deepest part of the carving. It does take some practice to get the correct thickness since the molds are all so different from one another. Start by rolling the dough thicker that you think you might need it and testing the impression. If the cookie seems too thick when you press the mold, then roll the dough a little thinner and test again till it seems the right thickness.

I usually get 50 to 60 Lily of the Valley cookies form one batch also, so sounds good to me!

Keep Baking,

6 Pam 04.06.18 at 11:27 am

I recently bought the large nativity cookie press. 13.5 inches across.
I plan on making springerle cookies with it. Are there any special instructions for such a large cookie? I have used the smaller presses for several years with great success!
Thanks,
Pam

7 connie 05.23.18 at 3:39 pm

Hi Pam,

You will want to bake a larger cookie at a lower temperature for a longer time. This large size mold was originally intended for gingerbread or honey cake recipes. You will need to dry this very large cookie for 36 hours or more, depending on temperature and humidity conditions. Cool and dry weather would be the best.You will have to practice in your oven, but I would start at 290 degrees for perhaps 20-25 minutes. Every oven is different. If you have a convection oven, I would try that too. Make sure there is at least 2 inches of space all around the tray ( maybe a round pizza pan?) to improve even heat distribution in the oven. Thickness of the dough is important: too then and this will be very hard, too thick and it will not get done.

Make good notes about what you did and the results so you can make adjustments. This size cookie in a Springerle is indeed a challenge, but can be done with a bit of practice.

Happy Baking,