It’s Really, Really Cold!

by connie on January 5, 2015

Yes, it is really cold here in Chicagoland and that means it’s perfect for making Springerle (or any cookies for that matter). So put on your wool socks and make some cookie making plans. These are perfect conditions for drying Springerle cookies and then turning on that oven the next day.

Generally, the weather in January is more cooperative than November and December. And most of us have more time then we had then too. And it’s a great reason to put off doing your taxes too!

Happy Baking!

1 Mary 01.27.15 at 8:10 am

I used the Nini Perfection recipe using the heart & rose mold and my cookies cracked. Did I use too much flour? And, I have the “B” monogram mold and the scroll border isn’t consistent. Again, too much flour? Maybe the dough is not thick enough?

Your advice is appreciated.
Mary

2 connie 02.10.15 at 9:28 pm

Yes, the problem could be too much flour…..or a too hot oven. The inconsistent border sounds like uneven pressing??? Could you send a photo in an email?

3 connie 03.08.15 at 3:32 pm

My guess is that you did not get a full imprint, so it seems that a thicker pancake of dough before pressing would be the solution. Also insure that you are using even pressure when you press the mold onto the dough. Apply the pressure mostly in the center of the mold.

4 Diane Reynolds 12.17.15 at 8:34 pm

Hi Connie, I tried making the molded gingerbread Cookies. I followed the recipe to the T, but the dough was sticky> Should I have put more flour in to make it stiffer. I may have read using the oil and dark corn syrup, molasses and water. Do you only add water with all molasses? Or is it just the time of year ? I let them dry for 24 hours before rolling out the dough and another 24 hours before baking. When baking them the design baked out. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Diane

5 connie 12.18.15 at 8:52 am

Hi Diane,

I am glad you are making some molded cookies. Usually when the dough has been refrigerated for 24 hours, it is not sticky. I always work with small amount of the dough and keep the rest in the fridge until I need it. That being said, I recommend that a boldly and deeply carved cookie mold be used for gingerbread, because this sweeter softer dough will never hold the details that Springerle dough will hold. I think you have the Holiday Delights mold which has tiny small details and just is not bold enough for gingerbread.

It was good to see you in May after so many years.

Warm Holiday Wishes to you and yours,

6 Sharon 02.06.17 at 7:41 pm

Hi Connie, if you refrigerate the dough overnight. Do you bring the dough to room temp before handling the dough.

7 connie 02.08.17 at 10:15 pm

Hi Sharon,

I set the dough out at room temperature for about 30 minutes and then start molding the cookies. Refrigerating the dough makes it very workable and less sticky.

Have fun making cookies!