Tips for Using Rollling Pins

by connie on August 23, 2013

Using  patterned rolling pins to make Springerle cookies is the fastest and most efficient way to make them. Need 1000 cookies for the church bazaar? Your family members eat them by the dozen? You are the only one in your family that still bakes them, but everyone expects you to send them for the holidays? Then, a rolling pin might be for you.

There are two main problems that may be encountered when using the rolling pins: cookies that are slanted on the top surface and cookies that are alternately thick and thin. Firstly, most of us have a stronger arm and so you need to be aware of this fact, so think about applying even pressure on both sides of the rolling pin as you roll. If you roll without considering this, those of you who are right handed will naturally have cookies that are thinner on the right side. So practice and think even pressure as you roll. Secondly, once you start rolling the Springerle rolling pin over the dough, DON’T STOP, because if you do you will release pressure and that area will be thicker and when you resume rolling the pressure will be heavier. So, COMMITT and keep rolling until you run out of dough!

These tips require that you already roll out your Springerle dough to an even thickness and slightly wider than the width of your rolling pin. I also suggest that you roll the dough a little thicker than you would for a single press and don’t forget to consider the depth of the carving on your rolling pin. And remember , it will always be easier to roll on a table level than countertop level, allowing you to apply pressure using you shoulders as well as your arms.

Go forth and make many, many  Springerle!

1 h.pollard 08.26.13 at 4:04 am

Dear Connie,
Want to buy your moulds which look absolutely super. Can one pay by paypal? I really do not like paying with a credit card.
Thank you.

2 Carol 08.28.13 at 7:12 am

I was wondering if anyone has used your molds to mold chocolate. Your designs are exquisite and would look great on top of cupcakes in chocolate.

3 monica 09.20.13 at 9:03 am

Connie, I went to one of your classes at house on the hill several years ago. You distributed a recipe for soft glazed gingerbread. I made them and they turned out fantastic – everyone loved them and they held the design of deeper molds just fine. Can you post a copy of that recipe again? Thanks.

4 connie 09.25.13 at 11:38 am

Hi Monica,

This recipe is posted on the House on the Hill web site. Here is the link: http://houseonthehill.net/recipes/gingerbread/. The glaze recipe is also there.

I am teaching a class tomorrow; we have such fun learning to make cookies! Good to hear from you.

Happy Baking! Connie

5 connie 09.25.13 at 11:47 am

Hi Carol,

You may use our cookie molds with modeling chocolate or chocolate fondant. See this example:http://houseonthehill.net/garden/double-rose/.

Generally you need flexible molds to work with melting chocolate and our molds are not flexible.

Best, Connie

6 Paula 11.02.13 at 8:51 pm

Hi Connie! I want to learn about this beautiful cookies, just I want to know what happens if I don’t like the anise flavor, what another flavor I can use, can be a edible esence? Which is the difference between oil and esence? Thanks!

7 Cora Hursey 12.06.13 at 7:52 pm

Connie, I recieved the rolling pin, Merry Christmas and hartshorn, just a couple days ago, and am very pleased with my choices. I had recently purchased the Joseph adjustable rolling pin, and this works great, especially for the larger piece of dough required for the rolling pin. You might want to include this in your offers as it is kinda hard to find. All the cookies are same thickness, and so fast. I will be using the Joseph for rolling out dumplings and other things as well, but it is really big help for springerle cookies. My first time at making a presentable springerle, thanks!!

8 Elle 12.22.13 at 10:33 pm

Do you need to use a rolling pin or a press to make these? Could you just roll them out and cut the dough into squares. Of course I won’t have the beautiful pictures, but I’d have the cookie, no?

9 connie 01.27.14 at 5:05 pm

Hi Elle,

You don’t have to use a press. It’s true that you could just cut the dough into squares. But by pressing a design onto the top surface you also create tiny little air escape routes. So use the bottom of a cut glass or press a fork partially into the surface a few times so that the Springerle does not get too puffy.

10 Pamela Friedler 11.07.16 at 7:42 am

Thank you for this great blog, your tips are always so helpful.

11 connie 11.18.16 at 1:07 pm