Which cookie sheets to use for Springerle

by connie on May 3, 2013

Oh those Springerle are persnickety! They even demand their own cookie sheets!
Yep…the cookie sheets you use for baking Springerle will have an impact on the success of you cookies. I have the best results with shiny aluminum pans. Dark colored pans will overbrown and overbake Springerle. Insulated cookie sheets, while an excellent choice for soft gooey or chewy cookies, also tend to overbrown the bottoms of Springerle cookies.
Now about the size of your cookie sheets…….Make sure you have cookie sheets that have at least 2 inches of space around the sides of the pan in your oven. When I moved and started using a new oven that was wider, but less deep, I did not have much space on the front and back edges of the cookie sheet and experienced some less than good results with cookie sizes that I had never had problems with before. As soon as I replaced the cookie sheets with narrower width cookie sheets, the problems were solved. It is important to remember that much of the success of baking these Springerle cookies is that it is all about controlled leavening. Thus, it makes sense that even circulation in your oven will yeild better results!

1 Robert Darling 05.24.13 at 9:58 am

All true, shinny stainless steel works best for me, insulated not at all. Weight of steel pan seems to effect whether the bottoms slightly brown. Trying to find a right amount I used 300° then put the tray back several times. 305° for 15 minutes just started to brown bottoms in this pan.

2 Lori Hall 07.24.13 at 8:41 am

Hello, I’m just curious….have you ever tried baking them on cast iron? I only ask because I recently started using my cast iron pizza pan to make cookies on and so far, they make the best cookies of any pan I have EVER tried. I haven’t tried springerle yet though.

3 connie 08.08.13 at 4:44 pm

Hi Lori,

I have not tried this , but am excited to give a whirl. I will be making samples for a class soon and will try this. I also bake my pizza on a stone and will try that with part of the batch! Don’t you just love how we all learn from each other? Thank you for passing this along!

4 Lexy 10.06.13 at 3:23 pm

How would they turn out on Silpat liners (silicone sheets on a cookie try)

5 connie 10.06.13 at 11:41 pm

Hi Lexy,

Do NOT use A Silpat for Springerle cookies. While great for softer chewier cookies, Silpat liners do not allow moisture or steam to escape from the bottom of springerle cookies and so the steam bursts through the top of the cookie, ruining the design. Save those liners for your chocolate chip cookies!

Best Baking! Connie

6 Betty 11.30.13 at 4:03 pm

So true about the shiney aluminum pans; I’d used a few of the other types during 3 previous years of baking Springerles with some disappointing hit-or-miss results, & Connie’s right – the Silpats are the worst. I received a few tips from a professional springerle baker last year that produced very good results for me: he places the cookie sheets on the bottom rack of the oven with an empty pan underneath & bakes ALL the cookies at 225 degrees, just with different times for varying sizes . Check the cookies every 6 minutes or so, turning the pan around each time, pressing down if needed. After receiving these tips, I tried them & had my very first year where every single cookie turned out beautifully – I bake many sizes, from 12″ to 2″. This method really worked great for me so I thought it was worth passing along.

7 Jana 12.17.13 at 4:22 pm

hello, I have made these cookies for 30 years and never had a problem. Last year most of them leaked really bad from bottom and this year they are all doing it again.
I am using heavy steel cookies sheets and spreading my cookies two inches from each other when drying and when baking.
The only thing I can think of is not drying enough. Are they suppose to be dry to touch or how to you know when they are dry enough. I dry mine from 8 to 12 hours. my recipe says 6 to 8 hour.

8 connie 12.21.13 at 2:13 pm

Hi Jana,

Need so much more info to answer this question. I think most Springerle recipies call for a longer drying time. Did you move and have a different environment? New oven? The problem you describe may be caused from using a Silpat…….not a good thing for Springerle as it does not allow air to escape from the bottom of the cookie.

9 Linda 12.21.13 at 4:57 pm

I have made springerle for years using the recipe without butter. Many times when the cookie rises and makes it’s foot – it rises lopsided. One side rises more than the other. Have you every experienced this? It looks unsightly. Thanks Linda

10 connie 01.27.14 at 5:27 pm

Hi Linda,

Two things may come into play here.

One is uneven distribution on the leavening, so make sure the leavening is thoroughly mixed in. This is the the reason that the hartshorn is dissolved in milk…..to get this proportionately small amount ingredient evenly distributed.

Another likely explanation is uneven heat in your oven. Make sure there is at least 2 inches on both sides and in front and back of your cookie sheet. This is so that the heat is circulating and there is less variance in heat within the oven chamber. Also only bake one tray of cookies at a time. If your oven has a convection option, you should try it. I am working on a post about convection baking of Springerle cookies and should post it in a few days.

11 Sandy 02.24.14 at 2:44 pm

I tried baking on the convection setting…disaster for me resulting in uneven rising of cookies. Trying to perfect the perfect Springerle for a First Communion gift.

12 Georgia 01.24.15 at 10:16 pm

Because Colorado is so dry, I purchased the USA cookie sheet. Made in Cincinnati, the sheets are heavy but feature a type of rippled bed to allow air flow. I really liked the results since the cookie bottoms dry but the cookie stayed most after baking ( no small feat!. Four days later, I still have an edible cookie. For those of you who don’t contend with dry air AND altitude, my cookies before made biscotti look like a wonderfully moist cake!

Parchment paper just absorbed the little moisture in the cookies. These pans are coated with silicone, brown nicely because of the weight. They have a lifetime guarantee. King Arthur advertises them as do other sites. It made all the difference for me.

13 connie 03.08.15 at 3:38 pm

This is interesting, because I would think that additional air flow would dry the cookies out more, not less. Any others out there at high altitudes have some comments on the baking sheets. I have found that dark colored cookie sheets tend to overgrown the springerle. I like the results with shiny light colored cookie sheets. But, again, I have never has to deal with high altitudes.

14 Susan 12.09.15 at 8:11 pm

Ok, Connie,I’m going to try to make good springerle one more time! I’ve watched your video, have my ingredients, and am ready to go. My previous springerle attempts have produced really hard cookies. I’m wondering if I dried them too long — overnight — the 2 last times. It is very VERY dry here, 4000 ft. altitude. I’ve tried different baking times, but get hard cookies every time. I use good shiny baking sheets, etc.. follow directions to the letter. Am I adding too much flour to the dough to help get a good impression? Any ideas?Help!

15 Bobbie 11.01.16 at 5:37 pm

I use the USA baking sheets with parchment paper and have great results. They are cooked to perfection, raise nicely and evenly. I highly recommend these cookie sheets and other baking pans. Bed, Bath and Beyond also carries them although I got mine from King Arthur. They are heavy however so if you have weak wrists and hands, probably not a good solution.

16 Brenda Young 11.03.16 at 10:59 am

Where can I purchase the new snowflake mold? I am in Southern California, zip code 91360, but would order from any website countrywide if I knew who had it available. Thank you.

17 connie 11.18.16 at 1:01 pm

Hi Brenda,

The closest retailer to you is Fancy Flours. Web site: fancyflours.com phone # 406-587-0118

Thank you for using House on the Hill cookie molds.

Happy Baking,

18 Mary 12.09.16 at 5:28 pm

Hello,

How much anise extract should be substituted for 1/2 tsp. anise oil?

Thank you. Love this cookie recipe and your cookie molds!

Mary