More Summer Springerle Tips

by connie on July 11, 2012

I discovered a few more tricks that are helping me cope with the challenges of summer Springerle baking, so I’ll share them here with all of you:

• Make the dough, place it in a tightly sealed plastic bag and then refrigerate it overnight and up to 2 days before forming the cookies.
  • When you place the cookies on a surface to dry, give them plenty of spacing, at least 2 inches of air space around each cookie.
  • Let the cookies dry longer than 24 hours. Try 36 or 48 hours for larger cookies.
  • Dry the cookies on a cookie sheet lined with flour sack tea towels, which will absorb more moisture than parchment paper and then move the dried cookies to a cookie sheet for baking.

I hope these tips will help you!

1 Catherine 10.06.12 at 12:36 am

Thanks for the updated tips. I really just wanted to comment on how beautiful the new Christmas molds are. They are quite beautiful and I can’t wait to acquire them.

One suggestion for your website – it would be helpful if you had a category for “new” molds. That way, customers can quickly go to that area to see what’s new to your site. It would make buying easier.

Thanks for your wonderful blog tips and website.

2 Cindy 10.17.12 at 8:46 am

What about using a food dehydrator to help dry the cookies? I just ordered one — some of the ladies at the decorated cookie forum are using them to dry their icing more quickly.

This is one that they have used:

3 San 12.12.12 at 8:29 pm

I have a question about the drying. Do you mean that the raw cookie dough (containing raw eggs) sits on a counter, for example, while drying? or do they go into the fridge? Thanks in advance.

4 connie 12.12.12 at 9:55 pm

Yes, they need to dry at room temperature uncovered. You are concerned about salmonella in eggs, which is killed at 165degrees F.
connie

5 connie 12.12.12 at 10:02 pm

See the blog entry about using a dehydrator.
Thanks, Connie

6 Leanne 12.20.12 at 1:22 pm

my dough is just not coming together. it crumbles apart (I’m not using your recipe because I just found you). I don’t know if it’s the cold dry SoCal weather or what. But this is the third time springerle has defeated me. I’m going to try putting the dough in the fridge for a couple of days and see if that makes a difference…

7 connie 12.21.12 at 11:26 am

It is so hard to know since I do not have your recipe, but it seems likely that you put in too much flour or perhaps the eggs were a smaller size that your recipe called for? If you have put the dough in the fridge you might try beating an egg and kneading in a little beaten egg at a time, or maybe teaspoons of milk. It is hard to know the amount to tell you because I do not know how large the batch is.

I see that you say this is the third time that Springerle has defeated you; it is time for you to try a new recipe. My mother lives in Southern CA and has no trouble making the Springerle at all. You are trying for the third time, so it is clear that you are persistent and want to make Springerle. Try my recipe, which can easily be halved for a trail run.

happy Holiday Wishes!

8 Margie 01.15.13 at 10:01 pm

I just cut my cookies, and they are drying, I don’t know if I have a problem yet. Saw this summer tips, and was wondering should I be using them, I live in south Fla.

9 Robert Darling 05.24.13 at 8:35 am

Dear Connie, Thanks for all your help and advice. Attempting to make wedding springle cookies in a light rain seemed the height of folly. However, drying 36 + hours seemed to mitigate the weather. They finally worked. Increasing the anise flavoring oil and putting seeds on the cookie trays also helped since I only had about two weeks before my wedding and wanted to share Springle with some cousins whose father always made Springle from Grandma’s recipe at Christmas. The other must do was reducing the amount of Hartshornsaltz. The first batch used the 1/2 tsp as in your recipe and the cookies over raised into, as you say, “popcorn”. Reduced to 1/4 tsp and baked at 285° in my oven for 14 minutes seemed to do the trick. Every combination of heat and time, tray position in the oven was tried until a correct combination achieved almost the right results. Too cool an oven did achieve a clear impression (225 for 55 minutes) however, the resultant was not white but a very light beige — alas. Too hot an oven,310° for 10 minutes, resulted in an overblown cookie with an almost uncooked soft center. The use of convection also over browned the cookies. Reducing the amount of beating of the egg (15 min) and the hartshorn to 1/4 tbs. worked. Next Christmas I plan to try Grandma’s recipe, which I usually beat for 25 – 30 minutes and change the flour to cake flour, and sugar to powder, as your recipe recommends. Grandma Hebel used 4 eggs, 4 cups sugar and 4 cups flour, no leavening (I might try 1/4 hartshorn) and no flavoring oils only seeds on the trays, and of course, storing for 4 weeks. Thanks again.

10 Robert Darling 05.24.13 at 9:50 am

Dear Connie, Thanks again for all your help and advice. Attempting to make wedding springle cookies in a light rain seemed the height of folly. However, drying 36 + hours under the fan on the dinning room table seemed to mitigate the weather. They finally worked. Increasing the anise flavoring oil and putting seeds on the cookie trays also helped since I only had about two weeks before my wedding and wanted to share Springle with some cousins whose father always made Springle from Grandma’s recipe at Christmas. The other must do was reducing the amount of Hartshornsaltz. The first batch used the 1/2 tsp as in your recipe and the cookies over raised into, as you say, “popcorn”. Reduced to 1/4 tsp and baked at 305° in my oven for 15 minutes seemed to do the trick. Every combination of heat and time, tray position in the oven was tried until a correct combination achieved almost the right results. Too cool an oven did achieve a clear impression (225° for 55 minutes) however, the resultant cookie was not white but a very light beige — alas. Too hot an oven, 310° for 10 minutes, resulted in an overblown white cookie with an almost uncooked soft center. The use of convection also over tanned the cookies. The Amo Te Heart needs a bit more cooking time. Reducing the amount of beating of the egg (15 min) and the hartshorn to 1/4 tbs. worked. Next Christmas I plan to try Grandma’s recipe, which I usually beat for 25 – 30 minutes and change the flour to cake flour, and sugar to powder, as your recipe recommends. Grandma Hebel used 4 eggs, 4 cups sugar and 4 cups flour, no leavening (I might try 1/4 hartshorn) and no flavoring oils only lemon peal with seeds on the trays, and of course, storing for 4 weeks.

11 Robert Darling 05.24.13 at 9:53 am

connie — sorry for double post. I came upon my notes and corrected the copy, i.e.: best detail = 305° x 15 min – 20 min for the Amo Te Mold

12 Beth 11.18.13 at 6:31 pm

After rolling your Springerle dough, can you re-roll the left over dough or do you just threw away and start over??

13 connie 11.20.13 at 11:29 am

Yes, Beth, you can knead the dough back into a solid mass and roll again. Springerle dough is very forgiving.

14 Evelyn 03.08.14 at 10:25 pm

I love this recipe and the cookies!
The flavor and texture of these cookies have made me a springerle fan!
I was wondering if you could freeze the dough?
Ev

15 connie 03.24.14 at 11:50 am

Hi Evelyn,

You can freeze the dough for up to 2 months. I also refrigerate it for up to 2 days before forming the cookies and find that it works very well.

Have fun baking,

16 sandy 10.13.14 at 1:08 pm

It’s time to begin my fall baking. This time – gingerbread. I needed a recipe with honey and the recipe in one of the booklets you had included with an order tickled me pink! I made the recipe calling for 1/2 tsp. hartshorn and 2 Tablespoons milk, only to fin, after I had baked, in another little recipe book you’d included with another order, a recipe without the hartshorn. By the time I baked the last tray, I was thoroughly satisfied with the end product. Hence, next time I will bake one cookie at a time until I achieve satisfaction (I’d really like perfection). Would the recipe without the hartshorn hold the design better?

17 Janet Larson 08.16.15 at 8:55 am

Where can I find the springerle moulds as I wanted some for gifts and to round out my collection…