Want to make molded gingerbread in your springerle molds?

by connie on October 22, 2011

Here’s a recipe that I developed this summer; it will make beautiful and tasty gingerbread. Be sure to choose a deeply and boldly carved design, one without really  fine details.  You’ll make the non springerle lovers very happy!

Happy Baking!

Gingerbread cookies using M4060 Swiss Sextet

Molded Gingerbread Cookies

Put into large mixing bowl and whisk together:

• 3  cups plus 2 tablespoons unbleached flour
  • ¾ teaspoon baking soda
  • ½ cup sugar
  • 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
  • ½ teaspoon ground cloves
  • 2 teaspoons ground ginger
  • ½ teaspoon nutmeg
  • ½ teaspoon salt

Measure into a large measuring cup and mix thoroughly:

• ½ cup vegetable oil
  • ½ cup molasses
  • ½ cup dark corn syrup
  • 2 tablespoons water

Now combine the flour mixture and the liquid mixture together either by hand or in a heavy standard mixer using the flat blade (not the whisk).  Mix until the dough holds together, adding 1 or 2 tablespoons of water only if necessary to bind the dough. Knead the dough into a solid mass and place into a tightly sealed zipper bag.  Let the dough rest for 1 hour or refrigerate overnight.

On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough with a plain rolling pin about ½ to 5/8 inch thick, depending on the depth of your cookie mold.  Using a pastry brush, flour the surface of your cookie mold. Press firmly onto the flat surface of the dough and then lift the mold straight up. Reflour the mold for every pressing.

Cut and place the cookies on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Let cookies dry for 8 – 12 hours.

Bake at 300 degrees for 12 minutes. Large cookies will need 14-15 minutes.

You can also use all molasses, but you will need to add an additional 6 Tablespoons of flour.

This recipe is easy to double.

{ 1 trackback }

Molded Gingerbread Cookies with Clear Sugar Glaze – Cooking Melangery
08.05.18 at 11:55 am

1 haniela 11.02.11 at 6:37 pm

These are gorgeous, thanks for sharing the recipe.
I haven’t yet use any of the molds but I’m looking into buying one right now.:-)

2 Kristin Jansson 11.06.11 at 5:18 pm

I have a question about letting these dry prior to baking. Should they be refrigerated while you dry them, or can they be left on the counter?

3 connie 11.14.11 at 10:45 pm

Hi Kristin,

The cookies should dry uncovered, preferably in a dry cool place. I remember that some people dried them on their closed in porches. I turn my thermostat down to 60 degrees at night in my house anyway, so that’s all good. Of course, put them in a place where the pets can’t get to them!

Go forth and make cookies!

4 yvonne 11.20.11 at 10:13 pm

These cookies came out so delicious!
Crisp on the outside and a little gooey inside.
Looking forward to serving them to my vegan friends!

Btw I used rice syrup, instead of corn syrup, with satisfying results.

5 connie 11.27.11 at 7:17 pm

You should dry them uncovered on the counter. This helps form a slight crust on the surface, which preserves the molded image.

Have fun baking!

6 Donna Goodrich 11.29.11 at 7:15 am

I am so happy to have found this wonderful website! My father was a baker and his father (also a baker)came from Germany and brought his beautiful springerle mold with him. I have inherited it, but have never been able to replicate these wonderful cookies. My father’s recipes are quite cryptic! Now I am looking forward to trying your recipes and buying more molds, of course!

7 Shirley 11.29.11 at 4:00 pm

I’ve used your molds for springerle and speculas, but this is the first time w/ gingerbread. In rainy Oregon, the springerle holds the print well, but I couldn’t get it to hold with this gingerbread recipe; of course it’s light drizzle and heavy fog and will be that way for weeks. I really like the flavor of this gingerbread recipe, so I’m headed back to the mixer with a base recipe of margarine & no leavening, but will sub your spices. I need to bring a dessert to a senior lady’s group next week, w/ several of the ladies immigrants from Belgium. Can’t possibly serve unaged springerle, so hoping to get some type of molded gingerbread to work. The flavor of all the ‘failures’ is perfect so they will be enjoyed at home. Thanks for posting the recipe, it really is a good one.

8 Wendy 12.01.11 at 3:29 pm

Hi Connie,

I had the same problem as Shirley from Oregon had. I live in Seattle. The dough did not hold the print at all. I ordered the M4060 Swiss Sextet and cutter that you used, so I know that mold works. I used molasses and dark corn syrup, and followed the instructions allowing the cookies to dry for 14 hours. You did not say in your recipe if the flour is spooned into the measuring cup and leveled off, or if it is the “dip and sweep” method of measuring. Perhaps that could be the problem, as the “dip and sweep” would incorporate more flour into the dough, thus making it stiffer? I spooned the flour into the measuring cup. As Shirley said, the “failures” were good, but when you spend $66.00 for the mold and cutter it’s frustrating.

Wendy

9 Stephanie Nuce 12.04.11 at 7:27 pm

Do these have a long shelf life like the traditional springerle? Thank you so much!

10 connie 12.05.11 at 3:41 pm

The gingerbread cookies should last a couple of weeks, not months like springerle.

11 connie 12.05.11 at 4:00 pm

Hi Wendy,

My best guess is that the cookies did not have enough flour. They may also may have been too thick, thus over rising during the baking. Because of the high humidity where you live, try them thinner and cut the baking soda to 1/4 teaspoon. Also, I “drop” the cookie sheet on the counter immediately when I pull it out of the oven to slight deflate the rise. This defines the image more clearly.

I hope you will try again….

Best regards,

12 connie 12.05.11 at 4:03 pm

Hi Shirley,

See my answer to Wendy. And yes, humidity can be a problem, so try the the possible solutions as outlined to Wendy. Let me know how they turn out!

Keep enjoying those “faliures!”

13 Susan 12.06.11 at 11:35 am

Just baked the gingerbread springerle — what happened? Delicious blobs! My springerle molds made nice deep crisp impressions, I let them dry overnight, and when I baked them they puffed up so much the impressions are gone. I am at 4,000 ft altitude — could this be a factor?
They taste delicious, but I’m so disappointed. Any ideas? Thanks!

14 Shirley 12.07.11 at 7:49 pm

Just a note, I did get less spread from using margarine instead of butter, but our household decided that we will enjoy the beautiful prints with springerle and speculaas, and eat gingerbread that tastes good. So, next batch will be with your gingerbread recipe and a more lightly defined design. It’s a trade-off that works for us. I did re-watch your video on springerle to be sure I hadn’t drifted from the technique, and following your advice gets top qual springerle even with my high humidity. Thanks for posting it. Wishing everyone wonderful Dec baking days, Shirley

15 connie 12.21.11 at 3:26 pm

Yes, the altitude is a factor. Leave out the baking soda and see if that works.

16 Mary Greenley 02.20.12 at 9:06 am

Hi Connie I am loving your mold designs and wonder if they would work with a shortbread recipe?

17 Deanne Brews 02.29.12 at 12:31 pm

I am sorry but I did not see where you answered the question as to how you measure the flour, by ‘dip and sweep’ or ‘spoon the flour into the cup and level off’. I look forward to your answer.

18 connie 03.21.12 at 1:21 pm

Hi Deanne,

Dip and sweep is the method I use for the gingerbread recipes.

Best,

19 Cindy 10.17.12 at 9:43 am

Do you have a gram weight for the flour in the recipes? I find that there can be so much variation in how it’s scooped that weighing the flour is so much more helpful.

20 Denise Bekkema 10.18.12 at 5:56 pm

You mention that only deeply carved molds should be used for gingerbread cookies so I searched your website and found many that were described as deeply carved. However…the mold I wanted to buy -Rosettes m7825 – is not described as deeply molded. Do you think Rosettes m7825 mold it would be good for gingerbread? If not, would my second choice – Cassie’s Garden m7615 – be good for gingerbread? Thank you, I am of Dutch heritage and I’m really looking forward to using traditional cookie molds.

21 Fran 12.12.12 at 9:04 pm

I have two questions:

Will this recipe work with a springerle rolling pin?

Are these gingerbread cookies hard or are they tender? I’m looking for something that doesn’t have to be dunked to be eaten!

22 connie 12.12.12 at 9:50 pm

You can use a rolling pin, but use one with a fairly bold design, as very fine details will be lost in this dough.

These are a softer, sweeter gingerbread than the sturdy German gingerbread.

23 connie 12.12.12 at 10:05 pm

I will be working on gram weights next year for all our recipes. I agree that weighing your ingredients can be a very good way to get consistent results.

Look for those next year. Can you believe it’s almost 2013????

24 Fran 12.14.12 at 2:42 pm

Thanks Connie, I think this recipe will work with my rolling pin. It’s one of those old wooden dime-store springerle pins. The designs are simple and fairly deep. And I’m glad to know that these cookies are a bit softer. I love the hard old German cookies, but most of my family and friends like their cookies a little less “rugged”.

For my House on the Hill molds I will use the butter springerle recipe–the one that was on a page in an ancient House on the Hill brochure. I’ve used that recipe for years and years, and everybody loves it!

25 Lynne 01.20.13 at 2:39 pm

I have used Icon bread stamps to stamp cookies and they came out beautiful. I am now looking to move on to your beautiful molds. To stamp with the bread stamp I used pouches of Betty Crocker cookie mix (please don’t faint) and added some bread flour (because of its high gluten content) while hand kneading the dough. The cookies held the image beautifully while baking and the taste was fantastic. I used the sugar cookie, molasses and peanut butter mixes, all worked beautifully. I don’t know if adding some high gluten flour to the gingerbread would help with the image problems. Adding gluten is a common suggestion on cookie stamping websites and it does work.

Since I am incredibly lazy when it comes to baking I would like to use the same store bought dough for your molds using the same technique I used for the bread stamps. One of the molds I would like to purchase is the ‘spectacular nativity’ mold. It looks rather challenging to use on cookie dough because of the detail. Would it be a problem to use it on cookie dough? Has anyone tried that particular mold with the edible chocolate modeling clay? I assume it would work well with fondant.

26 Janet Patterson 03.27.13 at 2:33 pm

I made these at christmas time. I thought i let them dry long enough.
they poofed and much of the design was lost. some were more successful then others. The texture and taste were very good. I will try some of the suggestions above for next time.

27 connie 04.14.13 at 6:32 pm

Keep trying. How long did you let them dry??? Should be 24 hours.

28 connie 04.14.13 at 6:40 pm

Hi Lynne,
It is so hard for me to answer your questions since I have never tried using a cookie mix, nor adding bread flour to sugar cookie dough. A summer experiment perhaps for me. In general, I would suggest using recipes that are specifically developed for cookie molds, but I am curious about the gluten addition.

The Spectacular Nativity mold is very deep, but all the molds work beautifully with fondant. In fact, fondant is easy to use, as is chocolate modeling clay. Just bush the mold with confectioner’s sugar instead of flour.

29 Terry Knight 10.29.13 at 12:50 pm

Hi Connie,
I am going to try the gold luster dust with the Pinecone mold to make these cookies.
Do I brush cookies with the luster before or after they have baked?
Thanks for your help!

30 Chris 11.10.13 at 2:40 am

Connie,

just let your readers in area with high humidity know a little trick and that they could “dry” their flour in the oven before using it. Let cool before proceeding with your recipe.

Simply put the required amount of flour, and it will help immensely when you update your recipes with “weight” measurements, in a low oven – about 225°F for about 30 minutes or so. Stir every now and then. Use caution – especially so that the flour does not take on any color (i.e. keep it white or natural looking). The drier flour should help offset the humidity problem.

Another trick that might help is to let the cookies “dry” overnight in the fridge on their baking sheet. The colder fridge air might help develop a “thicker” crust or reduce some of the excess moisture causing the “puffing” effect.

On side note, your gingerbread recipes on the web site have a “bullet” but no ingredient listed beside it. Is something missing? Looking at the recipes, I don’t see eggs called out. However, bloggers have noted your recipes are “vegan.” So is the blank “bullet” intentional? Something else accidentally omitted? Bloggers have had success with the recipes, so maybe just a formatting error?

31 connie 11.10.13 at 11:22 am

Hi Chris,

I like your idea about drying the flour for those who have to deal with high humidity. Although this is not something I have tried, I find it an plausible solution.

Drying Springerle in the refrigerator is not something I recommend; it seems that there is just not enough air circulation and there is the chance that they could pick up the flavor of something in the fridge. The coolest, driest are of you home is best,

I will have to see about the formatting issue. Thanks for the heads up.

Happy Baking!

32 connie 11.10.13 at 11:26 am

Hi Terry,

You would apply either luster dust or food color gel paints AFTER the cookies are baked.

Have fun,

33 Cindy 03.21.14 at 5:51 pm

Can Springerle be made with gluten-free flour?

34 connie 03.24.14 at 11:48 am

Hi Cindy,

I am linking you to the gluten free Springerle recipe on the House on the Hill website. http://houseonthehill.net/recipes/gluten-free-springerle/

35 Lindsay L 11.02.15 at 1:03 am

Hi Connie!

Can these cookies be frozen after being baked? Thinking about trying your recipe and starting my Christmas baking early.

Thanks for your help.
~Lindsay

36 Loretta 11.03.15 at 11:41 am

I love Gingerbread and soooo want to make these cookies but cannot find anyone who carries the molds and cutter. Wendy posted: she ordered the set M4060 Swiss Sextet and cutter for $66.00 but not where she got them. Please reply with where I can order these.

37 connie 11.08.15 at 11:56 am

Hi Loretta, You can order these items at fancyflours.com. They carry both the mold and the cutter.Connie

38 connie 11.08.15 at 11:58 am

Lindsay, Springerle are best stored in tins with tight fitting lids. Frankfurter Brenton and gingerbread can be frozen. Happy Baking! Connie

39 geo 12.12.15 at 8:02 am

The flavor is amazing and I had the same problem.
They did not hold their shape at all. I live at sea-level with normal humidity. I have done Springerle successfully before (never gingerbread,) but this recipe did not work.

I liked the flavor so much that I want it to work! I took out some of the baking soda and the same thing happened. I did feel the dough was soft, but it did take all the flour.

40 Lisa 11.09.16 at 6:20 am

Can you tell me how you cut them out. Does the mold come with cutters of like shape so they can be cutout easily and cleanly?

Thanks.

41 connie 11.18.16 at 1:07 pm

Hi Lisa,

The molds do not come with a cutter. Some molds (like hearts) have custom copper cutters that can be purchased separately. A nested set of round cutters is a handy tool to have for the round cookie molds. For rectangular molds I like to use my dough scraper. If you want to cut around a shape, you can also use a paring knife or and exact knife.

Happy Baking,

42 Lori 12.13.16 at 11:08 am

I also made the molded gingerbread recipe and Speculos all on the same day. Next day baking, I also lost all the designs. The gingerbread all ran into each other. I did use the baking soda. The flavor is delicious but they also seemed under cooked. I have over 20 House on the Hill molds so I really want this to work. Do you have a gingerbread recipe that is not soft?
They looked beautiful before baking, hummm…

43 Marisa Arrais 10.06.17 at 7:06 am

Hi Connie,
I´m from Brazil , congratulations your cookies are beautiful.
I want to make springerle biscuits but I need to buy the molds.
You sell or know where I can find it!

Marisa

44 Lisa 12.08.17 at 10:59 am

Hi Connie,
Do you think the Molded Gingerbread Cookie recipe would hold its image any better with a higher gluten flour- like cake flour? What do you think?

Lisa

45 connie 01.16.18 at 5:12 pm

Hi Lisa,

I think you would have better luck adding additional all purpose flour. Sorry to be so late with this answer.