Recipe!!! It’s long overdue!

by connie on January 20, 2011

It’s hard to believe that I have not yet shared Nini’s recipe on this blog! I have tried many others and tasted even more, but this is still my favorite.  I very much know that the “favorite” label has a lot to do with my family tradition and the recipe’s familiarity, but I will also tell you that many people who have said they don’t like springerle have tasted my recipe and are converts.

If you have not tried it, here is my recipe for your enjoyment! Reread my entry on hartshorn….I personally would never make this recipe with anything but hartshorn. The cookie is much harder when made with baking powder!

NINI’S PERFECTION SPRINGERLE COOKIES

1/2 teaspoon baker’s ammonia (hartshorn) or baking powder

2 Tablespoons milk

6 large eggs, room temperature

6 cups confectioner’s sugar (1-1/2#)

1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened but not melted

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon oil of anise, lemon or any other flavor

2 lb. box sifted cake flour (swansdown or Softasilk)

Grated rind of orange or lemon, optional (enhances flavor of the traditional anise or citrus flavors)

More cake flour as needed

Springerle Recipe Directions

Dissolve hartshorn in milk and set aside.  Beat eggs till thick and lemon-colored (15-20 minutes).  Slowly beat in the confectioner’s sugar, then the softened butter.  Add the hartshorn and milk, salt, preferred flavoring, and grated rind of lemon or orange, if desired.  Gradually beat in as much flour as you can with the mixer, then stir in the remainder of the 2 lbs. of flour to make a stiff dough.  Turn onto floured surface and knead in enough flour to make a good print without sticking.  Follow general directions for imprinting and drying cookies.  Bake on greased or baker’s parchment-lined cookie sheets at 225 degrees to 325 degrees*** till barely golden on the bottom, 10-15 minutes or more, depending on size of cookie.  Cool completely before storing in airtight tin containers.  They keep for months, and improve with age.  Yield 3 to 12 dozen, depending on size.

1 Judi 04.04.11 at 6:38 am

Who is Nina?

2 Cristina 04.08.11 at 6:11 am

Hello,
I look forward to baking these cookies.
Do 6 cups of sugar do 660 grams? It looks too much sugar to me. Can you check please?
Thanks for sharing the recipe.

3 Doris 06.24.11 at 12:24 am

My last 2 batches of dough were very easy to handle and not sticky at all. I just made a batch and worked in more than 2 # of flour and it is still very sticky. Last time I think I might have weighed my powdered sugar. This time I just measured 6 cups. Can that be the difference. I live in MO. It is not all that humid today but it is 70-75 in my kitchen. I had no trouble molding the cookies before, but I can’t even get the dough out of the mold now.

4 Doris 06.24.11 at 12:38 am

Do you think a pastry flour with 8.5% protein should work ok? Swans Down has 7-8%. I can order White Spray pastry flour much cheaper than Swans Down. I bake for a Farmer’s Market so I need to keep cost down. Can’t remember which one I used last time.

5 Lynette 07.01.11 at 11:16 am

In the recipe, after you note the oven temperature as “225 degrees to 325 degrees”, you have three astericks (***). I looked for a reference to the astericks, since a hundred degrees difference in oven temperature is quite a swing, but I found none. I’m new to springerle cookie baking, and I’d appreciate some guidance. Thanks!!!

6 connie 07.05.11 at 8:08 pm

Hi Doris,

It may also be that your eggs were larger or more watery!

connie

7 connie 07.05.11 at 8:09 pm

Doris, I think the 8.5% should be fine….just be sure not to overbake!

connie

8 connie 07.05.11 at 8:13 pm

Nini was my grandmother who shared the springerle tradition with my family and led me down this crazy road! Connie

9 connie 07.05.11 at 8:20 pm

Six cups of confections sugar is equivilant to 24 ounces or 680 grams. This is not a terribly sweet cookie, but it is a large batch of dough!

10 Christy 09.02.11 at 3:29 pm

Thank you so much for the recipe. I usually only make these for Christmas. Living in Texas…I think the heat this time of year would not be good for the cookies. Love looking at your photos and reading the blog.

11 Maggie R 11.01.11 at 5:26 pm

Connie, I want to let you know that my very first uneasy attempt at making Springerle cookies came out SPECTACULARLY, thanks completely to YOU!!! Your “how to” videos, information & tips, blog articles, this recipe (and the beautiful ‘Heart and Rose’ mold & cutter) mentored me to produce “too pretty to eat” wedding favors for my sister, as well as the ‘Petite Fleurs’ for her Bridal Tea.

While visiting in her city I went to their German Village and at three different locations bought Springerle cookies for comparison. May you further be pleased to know that the cookies this novice made came out in first place with all five of us ‘judges’ in both categories of taste / recipe and clarity of imprinted image… and they weren’t just being nice to me, either.

Thank you for teaching me the ropes of doing a superb job with these wonderful cookies! When unemployment issues are resolved I’ll be back to buy more molds.

12 connie 11.03.11 at 8:29 pm

Hi Maggie,

Your message made my day. I am delighted with your success and further entertained by your self-imposed judging. Yes, I am well pleased.

Keep up the baking and sharing,

13 Inga 11.07.11 at 4:31 pm

I have the same question as Lynette – how does one determine what degree to cook at and do the three asteriks (***) refer to any note? Also, I have read elsewhere about popping the cookies into a hotter oven (375 degrees) to set the shape and immediately turning the temperature down. Have you ever done this? Thanks and looking forward to making my first batch of Springerle.

14 connie 11.14.11 at 10:39 pm

Hi Inga,

There are some general guidelines about baking times and temperatures. And since everyone’s oven is slightly different, always do test cookies when you make a new size. Bear in mind, also, that people roll the dough to varying depths and press with different strengths resulting in different thicknesses in the formed cookie.

So, for a basic common size springerle cookie, about 1 1/4 x 2 inches to 1 1/2 x 2 1/2 inches, I would start at 320 degrees for about 12 – 13 minutes. I have had very good success with this.

For smaller cookies, less than 1 x 1 inches, my recommendation is to lower the temperature to 250 degrees for about 12-14 minutes. This lower temperature is to avoid the popcorn effect – where heat penetrates to the center of the dough rapidly, causing the cookie to burst much as a kernel of popcorn bursts in a very hot pan. Great for popcorn and not so great for springerle. you might even need to go to 225 degrees for a yet smaller cookie.

It may seem counterintuitive, but for larger cookies I would lower the temperature to 290 to 300 degrees and bake longer, testing for each size. I lower the temperature, knowing I will have to bake the cookie longer, but wanting to maintain the white top that is a hallmark of springerle cookies. Again thickness will make a difference in the baking time.

I have not tried the high heat setting technique, but it may be a substitute for drying the cookies?? (Since the purpose of drying is to set the pattern.) I would worry that the high heat would cause bubbling or bursting. I am going to try it on my next batch and report back to you all.

Remember – TEST COOKIE BAKING!

15 Nancy 12.02.11 at 6:15 pm

I just made a batch of springerles and am a little frustrated. The imprint came out pretty good (I am using antique molds from my grandmother) and the cookies looked nice when they came out of the oven. However, while baking they puffed up quite a bit and when they cooled the imprint smoothed out a lot. The end result was passable but nowhere as beautiful as yours. I baked them at 325 for about 12 minutes. Any advice appreciated.
Nancy

16 connie 12.05.11 at 3:53 pm

Hi Nancy,

I don’t know what size cookie you made, which might make a difference here. Did you dry then for a full 24 hours? If the cookie is large, 36 hours might be even better. They also will rise more if the springerle were too thick. For most cookie molds, I start with a pancake of rolled dough of about 1/2 inch thick, and so they are thinner when they are pressed. I also con’t know if it was raining or very humid??? Also a factor. My best guess is that your cookies were too thick and thus rose too much.

Give me some more details and I might be able to better help you.

Thanks,

17 Tamara 12.17.11 at 7:57 pm

I live in Denver and always adjust my baked-goods recipes by reducing the amount of leavening and using a bit less sugar and fat than the recipe calls for. Should I reduce the amount of Hartshorn?

It’s just a week before Christmas and I know springerles get better as they age — but my mother just gave me an early gift of 4 House on the Hill springerle molds and your Hartshorn, so I’m going to make them now anyway. I’ve used my grandmother’s recipe and a springerle rolling pin in the past; I’m looking forward to trying your recipe and using the beautiful molds!

Tamara

18 Emery 12.21.11 at 9:16 pm

I made my first Springerle today. In the tradition of my grandmother & to your recipe (which are almost identical may I add). They came out well and I learned from my mistakes as I went along. The only problem I encountered was learning to roll and press. Baking worked well as I did some test cookies first. I found lower temperatures for the 2″ cookies worked wonderfully and the cookies came out great. I will let them dry longer next time as 4 hours was good, but I can see I need to allow a longer time to improve the impression retention. Thank you for everything especially your blog and videos.

19 AugustaPat 06.12.12 at 7:59 pm

Connie, I was watching the You Tube video of you making the Springerle dough that you stated was your grandmothe’s recipe. I was unable to write it down fast enought get everything and watch the video. It did not seem to be exactly like Nina’s Perfection Springerle Cookies. Have you posted the You Tube Springerle recipe elsewhere?

Thank you very much! Pat

20 connie 07.02.12 at 12:48 pm

Pat,
This is the same recipe that is on my video!

21 Janet Larson 09.23.12 at 11:35 am

Will you have a cutter for the 12 days of Christmas? I would like to order the set this week but was wondering if there was one?

22 Donna 12.08.12 at 12:00 pm

Connie, my dough was very damp and I slowy added more flour. The resultant cookies seem too’floury’. Please what did I do incorrectly?

23 Marsha 12.10.12 at 2:29 pm

I’ve seen your guidelines for baking temps and times. But how do I know when a cookie is done? I’ve made springerle a handful of times now, and still would like to know exactly how to test them. I made a batch earlier this year that got moldy after a couple of months.

24 connie 12.12.12 at 10:17 pm

You need to break a few test cookies to make sure the cake like texture is fully formed and there is no doughiness. Another sign of doneness is if you can lift the baked cookie right off the baking sheet with you hand.

Springerle often will mold after a few months when stored in warm moist conditions or if the cookies were not fully baked.

connie

25 Linda Fuller 05.28.13 at 9:30 am

I really like the metal faced molds. Will you have some more designs in the future? Some of the designs that I have seen are no longer on your website. They make a much clearer imprint when baked. Thanks.

26 Evelyn Dapra 07.17.13 at 3:31 pm

Hi, I’m new to making Springerle cookies. . I thought you were supposed to pack cookie dough onto the cookie form. That shows how much I know. Is there a recipe book I can buy to learn how to make these. I have read all your tips in this blog but, I would like to have instructions that I can go to. When you say let the cookies dry put, do you mean just cut them out and sit on the counter or something? Also, how do you get a nice boarder on some of these cookies?

27 Leann 11.02.13 at 4:27 am

Connie, I loved watching your video making Springerle cookies and I was wondering which oval cookie molds you used on your video? Was it the Lily of the Valley mold? Also, which cutter should I order for this particular mold? Thank you for your help!

28 connie 11.10.13 at 11:24 am

Hi Leann,

Yes, that is the Oval Lily of the Valley mold and the cutter is CCSO Custom Copper Small Oval.

It’s a beautiful mold, isn’t it?
connie

29 Donna Day 11.29.13 at 3:09 pm

I used 6 cups of cake flour and used the rest of the flour when rolling the dough and dusting the various shapes. The dough was absolutely perfect and the cookies were beautiful. My question is, again, about tim to bake. My cookies were white with just a shadow of golden brown bottoms. I broke one open and it was dry inside. I wonder if the looks of a broken cookie is an indication of baked enough. I was looking for a slight coloration on top of the cookie, but it is white. I will age these and hope they don’t mildue if underdone.
Thank you for any ‘done’ hints you may give us.
DD

30 connie 12.01.13 at 4:11 pm

Hi Donna,

White with just a shadow of golden brown on the bottom sounds just right. I always say that one of the hallmarks of a Springerle cookie is it’s whiteness: that makes it so distinctive from so many other cookie varieties. It is hard to know the time to bake them without knowing the size of the cookie. I would break one cookie in half and if it has a fully formed dense cake like texture and no doughiness in the center, then the Springerle is done. Test one cookie and then continue to bake a minute or so if necessary. If your cookie was a standard Springerle size of approximately 1.5 x 1.5 inches up to about 2 x 2 inches or there about, then my basic advice would be to bake at about 325 degrees for between 12 and 14 minutes.

So look for the fully baked dense cake like texture! Keep notes on times for various sizes, for future reference. Remember that everyone’s oven is different. So, slight adjustments are always to be noted.

Best Baking!