Yes, it’s time!

by connie on November 15, 2010

You need to think about making those springerle for the holidays ! The year has slipped away and here in the Chicago area we have had our first frost, and the air is dry too! This is the scary thing…..Christmas is only 40 days away.

Get thee to the kitchen and bake!

1 Heidi Raker 11.17.10 at 8:33 am

You have inspired me, Connie! This weekend I will be baking fragrant batches of gingerbread cookies using my pumpkin and acorn molds to liven up my Thanksgiving dessert table. My children will be helping me and we will not only be making edible art, we will also be making lifelong memories. This is what it’s all about: enjoying time with loved ones and creating beauty (and delicious beauty, at that!) for all to share in.

Happy Baking and Happy Thanks-GIVING!

2 Lisa Scalf 12.09.10 at 9:41 am

I understand your feelings. I lost my mother in an accident 2 months ago. She made the springerles every year, complete with the bakers ammonia! Although I don’t care for them, I found her stamps but alas no recipe. I will be making some for my Aunt and Uncle and several friends who like them. I would love your recipe if you would share it! Thank you

3 Elizabeth Kelso 12.22.10 at 1:30 am

I’ve embarked on a venture to make tons of Springerle this Christmas and I’ve used the House on the Hill recipe. A few questions –

I made a batch using the recipe, but I did it by ounces. I figured that there are 8oz in a cup, so I would need 48 oz. or three pounds. I also used the 2lb box of cake flour. The dough came out relatively stiff and dry but worked well. The cookies are pillow like and delicious. My dad used the same recipe but weighed everything using a scale and his dough came out much moister and softer. They’re taking longer to dry and they are definitely not as sweet or flavorful.

Can you guide me how to proceed with the third batch we make? I like my method better, he prefers his. Help!

4 Elizabeth Kelso 12.22.10 at 1:31 am

Oh – and his version still tastes Ammonia like to me. But he says he cant taste it. Can that be?

5 elra 12.23.10 at 2:16 am

Connie,
I made it, thank you so much !

6 connie 01.20.11 at 4:10 pm

Elizabeth – did you use 3 pounds of confectioner’s sugar? I am not clear on what you did??? Connie

7 connie 01.20.11 at 4:16 pm

And you made springerle so well. I saw your photographs – beautiful!! Connie

8 Phill 10.29.11 at 10:36 am

It is that time of year when I think and start my holiday baking. My taste in cookies is turning to more flavorful tasting cookies instead of the sweet tasting sugary cookies. I make a batch of springerlie cookies following my recipe. The dough was dry and crumbly. The cookies turned out dry, tough and did not puff up too much. I just made a second batch using baker’s ammonia. I also used my eye on the dough. I used cake flour instead of all-purpose flour and sifted the flour. Using my eye the dough started out crumbly. I switched to my cookie paddles and the dough became smooth and not sticky. It has rested overnight in the fridge. I let it warm up just a little before rolling out and the cookies turned out great! Just learned to use my eye and instinct on the dough. Now I am happy.

9 connie 11.03.11 at 8:31 pm

Yes, I too am continually more and more interested in less sweet and more flavorful cookies!

10 Monica Steeg 02.13.12 at 12:29 pm

Connie, I see you have a new gingerbread recipe that is dried before baking and I will try it, but I have been using your old gingerbread recipe that uses unsalted butter and bakes immediately at 350 (I think). Everyone loves those cookies – can you publish that recipe again too?
thanks!

11 connie 02.20.12 at 12:36 pm

Hi Monica,

Here is the mild version of the more traditional German gingerbread:

Mix together:
1 cup molasses
1 cup honey
1 cup unsalted butter, softened or vegetable oil

In a separate bowl mix together:

6 1/4 cups unbleached white flour
3 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon salt

I like to use a wire whisk to mix the dry ingredients together.

Combine both mixtures and knead well. Don’t refrigerate; mold cookies after mixing. It is not necessary to dry gingerbread cookies before baking. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Cool on wire rack. Store in tightly covered tins.

If needed, you may soften these cookies with slices of apple on firm bread for a day or two. These cookies keep well.

Notes about these gingerbread cookies: This is a very sturdy, dry gingerbread; for a softer, sweeter gingerbread use the other gingerbread recipe. If you use butter, the cookies will keep about 10 days; they will keep longer if made with vegetable oil.

Enjoy!